Tuesday, June 26, 2012

Poetry, JJ style...


Although I have been known to write a poem or two in my time, this was a poetry exercise for my current English class at OCU and I was pretty happy with the way it turned out.  I have never written in this style before so it was an "exercise" for sure!


Corning, Iowa 1980something
Grandma K, Aunt Jaris and the J cousins
Driving 10 hours with the parents and my sisters
Cousin Joe taking us girls for ice cream and pin ball
Cinnamon rolls from the special bakery the size of my face
Riding the tractor, pretending to help, with crazy Uncle John
Crazy Uncle John hanging his teeth on his ears
Rolling hills of corn as far as the eye could see
The smell of fresh cut hay and cows in the early morning when I take my walk with Dad
Sleeping on the floor at Grandma K’s and listening for the lonely sound of the train
The blow of a train whistle still opens the floodgates of memories to 1980something.

No comments:

Post a Comment

Welcome to The Double J! Thank you for taking a minute to comment on my blog and being a part of my journal. I always take a minute to comment back, but to make sure that everyone can be a part of the conversation, I do it here on the comments so please click the follow-up comments or check back in. Thanks again and have a great day!
JJ~